The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, Toronto South Detention Centre, seeks experienced Cleaner to provide cleaning and maintenance services for the institution.
Organization: Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
Division: Toronto South Detention Centre
Job Term: 3 Permanent
Job Code: C50616 – Cleaner 2 (COR)
Salary: $20.87 – $22.53 Per Hour*
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
- Perform physical cleaning services such as vacuuming and dusting offices and corridors; washing woodwork and tiles, walls and ceilings, mopping floors, removing graffiti, cleaning inside windows, light fixtures and vents, removing wax and finishing floors, cleaning washrooms and replenishing supplies.
- Perform general services such as unloading supplies from trucks, locking doors, switching off utilities, and reporting defective equipment.
- Operate heavy duty industrial cleaning equipment.
- Use platform lifts and/or physically move office equipment and furniture to allow for cleaning.
- Lift and dispose of garbage and refuse.
- Maintain records and security of cleaning supplies used, and notify the manager to order replacement supplies as needed
- These positions supervise inmate helpers. Salary note for Custodial Responsibility Allowance (K-1) applies
How do I qualify?
Technical Knowledge and Skills
- You have knowledge of infection prevention and control, and environmental cleaning practices in a healthcare or institutional setting
• You have knowledge of cleaning methods and processes, and the proper use of industrial cleaning equipment (e.g., floor polishers, vacuum cleaners, materials)
• You have knowledge of Leadership in Energy Environmental Design (LEED) standards, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) and Occupational Health and Safety Act (OSHA) to ensure compliance with standards
• You can ensure the safety and security of inmate helpers and their work area
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- You can train inmate helpers on the use, care, and storage of cleaning agents and solvents, as well as cleaning and maintenance equipment
• You can maintain accurate records of cleaning materials and supply usage
• You can ensure awareness for caution around obstructions where cleaning is taking place
Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills
- You can determine the type of cleaning agent used for various cleaning tasks
• You can set daily priorities, recognize equipment problems, the need for maintenance, repairs and supplies
• You can recognize security and workplace hazards, and report problems to managers in a timely manner.
- 3 Permanent – Full Time, 160 Horner Ave, , Etobicoke, Toronto Region, Enhanced – CPIC, VSS, PIP, Niche/RMS, Credit.
How to apply:
- You must apply online (https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca)
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service.
The disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Friday, September 28, 2018 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.